Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Screening of Super-8 films by Robert C. Morgan

I studied with Robert C. Morgan in the late 1970’s and he is responsible for much of my earlier artistic development. He exposed me to the conceptual art movement in general and Benar Venet in particular. Venet noticed that science had aesthetics as well as art and was bold enough to re-contextualize these scientific aesthetics as Art. It wasn’t until I read the Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav that I experienced an epiphany that drove me into mathematics and science. Prior to that event I had no interest in mathematics and some disdain. However, I must say I loved math up until I was seven years old then, as I mentioned, I abandoned it until 1979.
Robert has always been supportive and I always wish the best for him.


Millennium Film Workshop

presents


A Screening of Super-8 films by Robert C. Morgan

Saturday, June 17, 2006, at 8 PM



Although known today primarily as a critic and curator, Robert Morgan
emerged as a "post-conceptual" artist in the mid-seventies. Between 1974 -1989,
Morgan worked in a variety of different media, including an extensive body
of work in Super-8 film. He regards his films as "counter-narrative" in that
they deconstruct both Hollywood and commercial television -- the two primary
forms of visual narrative in the entertainment industry -- by laminating appropriated
footage against a personal and often political narrative. This is a rare opportunity
to see films by one of the formative "appropriation" artists of the seventies.

A reception will precede the screening in the Millennium Gallery at 7 PM

Admission: $8 / $6 (members)


For further information, please contact:

Millennium Film Workshop
66 East 4th Street, NYC 10003
Tel & Fax: (212) 673 - 0090
Email: cinema@millenniumfilm.org

No comments:

Visit the National Gallery of Writing