Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Anne Burns At The AMS Show in San Diego - January

The next few days I am going to diverge from mathematical poetry and display some of the visual mathematics work done by many talented people who have their work admitted to the American Mathematical Society mathart show coming up in January. The following image is by Anne Burns who is a prominent figure in the vismath world and I continue to find her fractal imagery extremely fascinating.



I use mathematics to invent algorithms and recursive subroutines that model structures found in nature such as clouds, trees and flowers. The program that generated this picture was written in Visual Basic.

Anne Burns, Professor of Mathematics, Long Island University.Mathartist statement:

"Just out of high school I entered Pratt Institute to major in art. For a number of years I painted in oils and water colors. I returned to college in my thirties and found that I loved mathematics. I never realized the connections between math and art until I bought my first computer and began writing computer programs. This enabled me to combine my love of art with my love of mathematics. Another of my interests is identifying wildflowers; this led to writing programs trying to imitate the structure of plants and other forms found in nature. I love programming and I am fascinated by the process of recursion and how it can be used to create pictures of astonishing complexity with very little code."

No comments:

Visit the National Gallery of Writing