Sunday, August 19, 2007

Death by Cherryl Floyd-Miller


My example for the similar triangles poem is admittedly mundane with my only excuse being due to its pedagogical intent. (Peanut butter -- Apple butter -- who cares?)
However, I want to bring attention to a similar triangles poem that I ran across on the internet by Cherryl Floyd-Miller. Mrs. Floyd-Miller recently experienced the loss of her Aunt and somehow wound up in a space in which she was able to share her experience with a mathematical poem. Even though the similar triangles structure is dry and logical, this mathematical poem evokes tears in my eyes as well as calling for a simple spiritual place, nostalgia for life and acceptance of the human condition. This example is truly the way theses structures are supposed to be used.

No comments:

Visit the National Gallery of Writing